Thursday, June 19, 2008

Garden Status

So, you may have read about my garden previously. Here's the first sprouts:









The last one is a nice shot straight up at the tree. I was seeing some birds eat some insects. It was very serene.

One small inconvenience has been the bugs. They were nonexistant at first, but with some of the summer rain we've had lately, they have started becoming stronger. To the point that Alicia and I are considering some candles for outside. Any advice?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try an "Off Lantern" - it creates a waft of smoke that seems to keep the bugs away. Works better than anything else we've tried here. Even keeps the Minnesota State Bird away...and I'll give my kudos to anything that keeps the mosquitoes from drinking my blood!!

Nicole said...

The candles - they do nothing! I love the smell of citronella but I doubt its effectiveness. When in doubt, some good Deep Woods Off is the best remedy in my opinion. DEET is key. Also, I've heard word of spraying a lemon juice solution around the area. That might be a lot of tree-hugging hippie crock, though.

Brian said...

I'll confess, I saw the Off Lanterns at Walgreens, but they only lasted two to three hours. Right next to it was a 50 hour citronella candle for 3 bucks cheaper. It was even in an ugly bucket. I couldn't resist