Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rock Band versus Guitar Hero


Unless you've had your head under a rock for two years, you've no doubt heard of Rock Band or Guitar Hero. I've purchased Guitar Hero 1, 2, and 3, as well as Rock Band. Those who know me know I've been into music games since way back before College.

Since both Guitar Hero and Rock Band have a similar concept, it seems one of the biggest determining factors now-a-days is the music included in each game. Today I was reading an article in Ars Technica about the music licensing in the next two games (Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero: World Tour). Here's my favorite part:

"Right now the holy grail of music licensing seems to be the Beatles, and it's hard to fathom the amounts of money that Activision and MTV Games would throw at Apple Corps for that music."
Indeed. I know I have salivated over that thought. It was about a year ago that I seriously started to listen to the Beatles.

What is strange is that the Beatles' music is not available online at the moment. It is curiously missing from iTunes catalog. The link in the middle of the quote above is to a separate article about the Beatles and licensing. It hints that a deal may be inked within a few weeks, but that was back in June.

I might have mentioned before that I don't like the Guitar Hero franchise anymore, and that I'm strictly with Rock Band now. If Activision (the makers of Guitar Hero) managed to make an exclusive deal with Apple Record (who controls the Beatles music), I would begrudgingly purchase Guitar Hero again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatles tunes.

Brian said...

I know MJ owns the music, and probably gets the royalty payments, but he's got the Apple Industries set up to manage the actual licensing. At least, that's what Wikipedia says.