Sunday, April 26, 2009

Update!

Hello!

Great News: My spring break trip to Minnesota was great. I got to see everyone, Alicia got to meet my family, I lost no luggage, ... Everything was fabulous

Good News: I got my Peek in the mail. It's an email only device that I've been heavily using since I bought it. The big advantage it offers me is that I can write things on the subway. It's about the size of a Blackberry, with a pretty big keyboard, so I can pound out emails, to do lists, or even blog posts. That GTAIV post last week? Wrote while writing the G train.

Mostly, the Peek has gotten me into Twittering. Twitter is a blog service that only lets you post 140 letters/spaces/numbers at a time. The idea is to just write down your thoughts as they happen. For example: Say I'm with Alicia in Manhattan and we see a giant Star Trek advertisement that glows green. By the time I get home, I'll have forgotten. Now, I can just pull out my Peek and write: "Whoa, giant Star Trek ad on 5th ave. I've been watching the original series, I'm pumped for the movie." Now, you'll know what I've been out looking at, what's on my mind, and feel a little bit closer.

In a nutshell, that's what Twitter is for. I'm hoping to post a weekly roundup of some of my tweets.

The down side is no pictures. I'll have to post more to compensate.

The Bad News: One month until the end of the semester. It's crunch time now. I've started treating it like a god's honest full time job. This means I leave the house and study for at least 5 hours every day (I'm at the Graduate Center library right now, actually). This is my third day of leaving the apartment to study, but I've already gotten a ton of work done. I'm feeling better about myself as a student and I'm enjoying my free time when I'm home. Why? Because I've separated my work from my play. Before, the axe of studying was hung above my head 24/7. Now, after studying for 8 hours, I can do whatever I'd like at home. There's no point in studying in the evening, as I'll just be studying tomorrow morning again.

This change in studying attitude has been a long time coming. If I really want to be an academic, studying needed to change from it's previous do-it-whenever-you-make-time position (which worked great in Undergraduate) to a real job. I'm really hoping this has happened.

What I've Thought About: The garden! Pictures tonight or tomorrow. The big new change is the mulch that Alicia wrote about here. Our upstairs neighbor is moving in about two months, and she just donated a ton of pots. So lots of work to do!

What I've Enjoyed: How could you not love the weather as of late? We hit the 80's last night, and it is holding steady. Alicia and I are trying to go as long as we can without air conditioning. Wish us luck.

0 comments: