Thursday, September 11, 2008

School is in Full Swing

Whoa! Guess time just got away from me.

I've been aware of the common stereotype that graduate students are stressed, no life, shut-ins that don't have time for anything. I'd even heard of mathematics students having to schedule casual down time, or else they'd not do it. Last year, I kinda felt that way. I had a decent amount of homework, and I had things to keep me busy, but I never felt an overwhelming pressure that eats up all my time, even Saturday nights.

Until about the third week of class this year.

I've got this giant amount of work I want to do. Last year, I had homework to finish, and that was about it. But now, wow. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the week.

Perhaps this is how I should have been last year. But it didn't feel this way before.

The good news is that it feels a lot better. Last year, I felt like I knew nothing and was going to fail out of grad school. Now, I can see all the new first years from a different perspective. I can see that more than half of the students I met in the first year are no longer here. Things make sense that didn't previously, and I'm getting things done.

In short, the overwhelming feeling that I am stupid has diminished. I still feel stupid, but now I feel like I can do something about it. Which is why I have been studying so much.

I've got a few more things to say, but I'll split them up into different blog posts to avoid one long sputtering post.

0 comments: