Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tostadas

Over the weekend, I attempted tostadas. Above is the result. Let me just say, I haven't been this proud of an improvised meal in months. This followed no recipe, but was just assembled from memory and taste.

The big new addition to my cooking repertoire is the corn tortilla. Honestly, I hadn't noticed that they were sold uncooked at the grocery store. They were next to the flour tortillas... really, I thought they were all flour tortillas. So I grabbed them and fried them in vegetable oil. They are like chips you get fresh from a restaurant. I've even been frying up some to munch on here and there.

On top of the fresh fried corn tortilla we've got refried beans; chicken that was chopped, cooked, and combined with taco seasoning; lettuce; sour cream; tomatoes; and queso fresco, which is a Mexican cheese we've often seen at restaurants. I fit four of these bad boys in my stomach.

My recommendation is be sure you include the lettuce, sour cream, and a light cheese. The fried corn tortilla, beans and chicken are very heavy. What makes this a great dish is the fresh light ingredients on top. The tomatoes really didn't add anything and I'd skip them next time.

Give it a shot.

0 comments: