Friday, February 5, 2010

Update

The Bad News: No job yet. I've sent resumes out in big spurts, but nothing comes back. The worst cases are when I get fraud job offers: they'll want me to shop for them. I'd receive a check, use the money to purchase goods, then send it to them. Eventually, the check would bounce and I would be out any money I spent. It's honestly slowed me down a bit, since I don't send out my resume to every single job anymore. Oh well. I'll keep at it.

The Good News: I've got a backup plan incase the job search stalls. I'm going to try fixing computers. I'm hoping to charge $30 an hour. I've got my stuff together and I've even made a website: www.interrobangbrooklyn.com. The only step left is to put out flyers and hope people contact me.

Why name it interrobang? I think it's a cool - if not rarely used - punctuation mark. I'm hoping the hipsters of my neighborhood will grin and remember me the next time their computer crashes.

I'm sure you'll hear more about Interrobang as business (hopefully) blooms.

The Great News: I'm teaching again. It feels great to be working! What's really great is that I've already been paid. Our first payday for the semester was day one. So before I lifted a finger, I got my check deposited in the bank. Let me just say, it's awesome being paid for doing no work (technically it's future work, but don't be a buzz kill!).

What I'm thinking about: Technology, mostly. Building my website forced me to relearn css (an internet thing) and other web design tricks. Most jobs want programming experience, so I'm trying to find an open source software project to help with. I've also been teaching Alicia to program, and that's proceeding steadily. But mostly, I've been preoccupied with reading about computer repair so that I'm ready to fix any problem a potential customer could have.

What I've enjoyed: Quesadillas. All you do is heat a frying pan, warm the tortilla until it starts to inflate, put cheese on half, fold it in half, then back on the frying pan for another 30 seconds per side. Wow! Easy, delicious, full of possibilities. Wednesday night, I choped onions, garlic, combined them with frozen corn and black beans. This was layered with cheese on the tortillas. The result was a full blown meal. Yummy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Brian - on all fronts!

Thinking of you guys.

Stacey